Oliver's BlogFriday 2nd August 2019
Dairy-Free and Refined Sugar-Free Lemon Pie Recipe
Most traditional lemon pie recipes depend on lots of sugar and plenty of dairy. This one, however, has a deliciously fresh taste and fantastic texture without relying on any refined sugars, eggs or butter. We’ve used rice syrup and maple syrup to add sweetness and amazake too. Amazake is a Japanese fermented (low alcohol) rice drink that is also sweet, but full of flavour and some B vitamins.
Preparation time is approximately 45 minutes and baking time is 20-25 minutes. You’ll also need to refrigerate the finished pie until firm.
Ingredients For The Lemon Pie
For the pie crust you’ll need:
- 1 cup spelt flour
- ¾ cup unbleached flour
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup rice syrup (may need to add a little more for more sweetness)
- 1/3 cup safflower oil
- ¼ cup water
For the lemon filling, you’ll need:
- 1 cup plain amazake
- 1 ½ cups lemon juice
- ¼ cup rice syrup
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- The zest of 1 lemon
- 2 ½ tablespoons agar flakes
- 4 tablespoons arrowroot
- ½ cup organic apple juice
- Extra lemon zest for garnish
Making The Lemon Pie Crust
1. Pre heat oven to 175 degrees.
2. Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
3. Add the oil and water, and knead quickly to form a dough. Allow dough to sit for 15 minutes.
4. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough into a circle to fit a 9 inch pan (dough thickness should not exceed ¼ inch)
5. Gently line the pie pan with the dough and bake for 20-25 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
To Make The Lemon Filling
1. Combine al the ingredients, except for the arrowroot and apple juice, in a saucepan. Bring to a simmer and cook for 8 minutes, whisking constantly.
2. In a small bowl, combine the arrowroot and the apple juice, then whisk into the lemon filling.
3. Continue cooking and whisking a few more minutes. Remove from flame and allow to cool slightly.
4. Pour the filling into the baked pie shell and refrigerate until firm.
Serve with a garnish of lemon zest around the edges.