1. Cut the apples or pears into quarters, remove the cores, and slice the fruit. Lay in the bottom of a ceramic baking dish, and flatten the fruit so the topping does not fall through it.
2. In a mixing bowl, add 1 cup oats, ¼ cup chestnut or almond flour, ¼ cup sunflower seeds, ¼ tsp grated nutmeg or cinnamon, and 1-2 pinches sea salt and mix together.
3. Mix 2 Tbsp odourless sunflower oil through the mixture so all the oats are coated with the oil.
4. Heat a jar of barley malt by placing in a pan with 2-3 inches or 5-6cm of water, and bring the water to a gentle simmer for a few minutes. This makes the malt much more runny, so it mixes with the other ingredients more easily. Mix 3-4 Tbsp malt into the mixture, and then spread evenly over the fruit.
5. Cook in an oven at gas mark 4 or 180 C for 20-25 minutes, until the topping is lightly golden.