Dairy-Free and Refined Sugar-Free Lemon Pie Recipe
Most traditional lemon pie recipes depend on lots of sugar and plenty of dairy. This one, however, has a deliciously fresh taste and fantastic texture without relying on any refined sugars, eggs or butter. We’ve used rice syrup and maple syrup to add sweetness and amazake too. Amazake is a Japanese fermented (low alcohol) rice drink that is also sweet, but full of flavour and some B vitamins.
Preparation time is approximately 45 minutes and baking time is 20-25 minutes. You’ll also need to refrigerate the finished pie until firm.
For the pie crust
1 CUP SPELT FLOUR
¾ CUP UNBLEACHED FLOUR
¼ TEASPOON SEA SALT
½ CUP RICE SYRUP (MAY NEED TO ADD A LITTLE MORE FOR MORE SWEETNESS)
1/3 CUP SAFFLOWER OIL
¼ CUP WATER
For the lemon filling
1 CUP PLAIN AMAZAKE
1 ½ CUPS LEMON JUICE
¼ CUP RICE SYRUP
¼ CUP MAPLE SYRUP
1 TEASPOON VANILLA EXTRACT
THE ZEST OF 1 LEMON
2 ½ TABLESPOONS AGAR FLAKES
4 TABLESPOONS ARROWROOT
½ CUP ORGANIC APPLE JUICE
Plus: EXTRA LEMON ZEST FOR GARNISH
Making The Lemon Pie Crust
1. Pre heat oven to 175 degrees.
2. Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
3. Add the oil and water, and knead quickly to form a dough. Allow dough to sit for 15 minutes.
4. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough into a circle to fit a 9 inch pan (dough thickness should not exceed ¼ inch)
5. Gently line the pie pan with the dough and bake for 20-25 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
To Make The Lemon Filling
1. Combine al the ingredients, except for the arrowroot and apple juice, in a saucepan. Bring to a simmer and cook for 8 minutes, whisking constantly.
2. In a small bowl, combine the arrowroot and the apple juice, then whisk into the lemon filling.
3. Continue cooking and whisking a few more minutes. Remove from flame and allow to cool slightly.
4. Pour the filling into the baked pie shell and refrigerate until firm.
Serve with a garnish of lemon zest around the edges.
For more recipes and tips, sign up to our newsletter